Thursday, October 17, 2013

Of Love and Squirrel Hunting



The Story Behind the Story: The Battle of Hutchinson’s Crossroads.

I write contemporary novels and short stories, mostly. That “mostly” is a fairly recent development, and represents the occasional deviation I take in my writing. Such as my story in Big Pulp Magazine “The Battle of Hutchinson’s Crossroads,” which is a Civil War historical.

So what prompted this diversion from the modern-day, everyman mild tragedies I tend to gravitate towards? Squirrel hunting.

I bought a little black powder .32-caliber squirrel rifle from a pawn shop back in 1998. I had some fun with it, ruined my hearing a little more, and the furry woodland creatures slept warm and safe knowing I’d have a better chance of giving them a chest cold than shooting them. For real; I’d shoot and miss (of course), and they would sit and watch me while I frantically reloaded then miss again.

Being the poor shot I am and not into hunting anymore anyway, I decided to sell that little squirrel gun in 2011. One prospective buyer was a coworker, and as I stood in his office while he hemmed and hawed about whether or not he was interested, a story idea came to me: a young man in a Civil War battle fires his first shot. What was he thinking as he pulled the trigger? Was it a planned shot? Or was he caught up in the moment and didn’t recognize what he’d done until later?

I tried to put myself in young Stretch’s position. Having never been in combat myself, there is a large mental disconnect between my trigger finger and a man dying across a field. I imagine this isn’t quite so disconnected in real life. Or is it? I don’t know, but I imagined my character wondering if he would know which man he had shot once the battle was over. I imagined what would happen if he had the chance to find out.

I am a fan of old-school twist endings. Hopefully the story stands on its own without the twist, but the story felt incomplete without it. Twists are hard to pull off, and I’ve gotten mixed reviews on this one.

“Hutchinson” is the maiden name of the woman I was dating when I wrote the story. Yes, I wanted to do the lovestruck puppy-dog thing and dedicate a story to her. Hey, just be glad I didn’t try to write a poem. [There once was a girl from West Yorkshire/ and being without her was torture/ So I wrote her a tale/ it published without fail/ she’s marrying another for sure.]  [Yeah, good thing I didn’t write a poem, huh?] Living in Mississippi at the time, the Civil War is never far from collective memory. Brice’s Crossroads was a small battle north of Tupelo, and was a sound defeat for the North. So, the name of the battle was not hard to come up with.

One final little extra. In my novel Paper Thin, go to the scene with Phil’s funeral and pay attention to the names on the stones in the graveyard.

6 comments:

  1. I like hearing about where stories came from. It's interesting how the mind finds that one spark, and then runs with it.

    I wish I could remember the name of the guy, but someone did a study during or just after WWII where they found the number of men who fired their weapons in a battle was stunningly low. I don't know if it was out of fear of killing another man, or fear of raising their head and exposing themselves. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an interesting study to read. Actually, I forgot about this part. The gun never having been fired was inspired by the Band of Brothers miniseries. When the Nazi officer surrenders his pistol to the Americans, the real-life American said it was years before he realized it had never been fired.

      Delete
    2. Found some info. The author was Brigadier General S.L.A. Marshall, the initial book was Men Against Fire, published around 1947, and the statistic was a little less than 25% actually fired their weapons in combat. However, there are now those who dispute that fact and think that Marshall fabricated much of his research. Supposedly, by Marshall's own findings, by the time the US got into Vietnam, 80% or more of soldiers were firing at the enemy. Again, the research is now questionable.

      Delete
    3. Interesting, Jeff! Thanks for doing the digging. Combat is one of those things my intellectual curiosity wants to experience, but I know in my heart I want to stay way, way away from it.

      Delete
  2. Interesting where ideas come from. Unfortunately my son was a crack shot and the first, and last, squirrel he shot fell right out of the tree at his feet. He figured he'd miss, was horrified and never hunted again.
    I had a short story idea after watching a news report about a school scheme to try and have young children walk to school for the sake of their health. They'd be rewarded by the teacher if they walked. I thought at the time, what a stupid thing to do. Little kids will do things they shouldn't if they're rewarded for it. I wrote a short story about what could go wrong with such a poorly thought out scheme.
    Will have to check out your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did your story ever get published? I've had several ideas from current events, but not many made it to stories, and even few got published.

      Delete